[Az-Geocaching] mobile APRS system

ShadowAce shadowace.az at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 15:02:29 MST 2007

Evening all. Not to go off topic, but I wonder if any HAMs out there might
have a portable/mobile APRS system that I could arrange to meet with?

 I am trying (without much success) to get a good portable (hiking) APRS
system going for use mostly for our recreation hikes but also to be used for
SAR missions.

Any information would be great. I am looking at a Kenwood TH-D7AG but I
cannot afford one at this time. I have volunteered along with Elmosmelmo to
assist with this years 24hour in the old pueblo ride and I thought this
would be a great time to break out a unit.

 I have access to an older tinytrak, but I cannot get a cable for the Yeasu
VX-7R that I own and the fact I need the radio to be a radio not a beacon :)

 Anyways, if you have built or know of a portable APRS system, that would
not take food from the mouths of my kids, can you contact me?

Thanks

-Dirk / ShadowAce / KE7GKF