[Az-Geocaching] Travel route suggestions

Lisa G. lisasjunk at buppas.com
Thu Dec 6 13:31:24 MST 2007

cactuscowgirlaz at aol.com wrote:
> I am in Tucson and the delays are minimal :)
That's good to hear. :)

Richard Daines wrote:
> Not sure about construction zones (state web site might have that
> info) but i'd  get on I-10 as soon as possible and take that all the
> way.  Was not a big fan the the drive thru Superior and Globe.  Was
> kind of slow and winding.
I did find general information about a widening project, but wasn't sure
exactly to what extent the closures would be, or what the real impact on
local traffic is working out to be.  Still, sounds like 10 is the way to go.

Lyn wrote:
> Hi Lisa,
>
> Is the construction you are talking about the Tucson area?  If so it
> is about 5 miles of 2 lanes both side while they widen it.  I have
> driven to the San Antonia / Austin area for years, the last time was
> this last July, I-10 is good all the way, east of El Paso Tx you will
> hit some mountains, long hills but you won't lose any time.  I usually
> drive Tucson to New Braunsfels (halfway between Austin and San
> Antonia) in about 13 or 14 hours.  But that is because I am
> impatient!  Have a wonderful trip.
Thanks, Lyn. :) My understanding was that it was widening either in
Tucson, or between Tucson & Phoenix, I wasn't sure.  I've driven the
I-10 route past Junction, cutting over on 290 through Johnson City &
Fredericksburg and on into Austin several times, so I'm very familiar
with it (and how loooong that stretch in west Texas seems!).  And I love
New Braunfels (actually grew up in Wimberley, about halfway between
Austin & San Antonio, but further west, so I'm very familiar with the
area).  Dad and I once made the Austin/Phoenix drive in 12 hours.  I
don't know how we did it, but I'm sure it wasn't legal, esp since that
was before the speed limit increases went into effect.  I definitely
inherited my lead foot from my dad :).  I wish our trips didn't take so
long now, but with the kids our stops tend to be a while (and even with
my husband...I'm more of a "quick stop, back on the road and get this
done" kind of person than he is).

Thanks everyone,
-Lisa