No subject

Mon Nov 20 17:01:42 MST 2006

 style="font-size: 11pt;" size="2"><b>DPM</b>
&#8211; Including the letters &#8220;DPM&#8221; in a cache log was a
once-secret way to indicate the cache was of low quality. DPM is an
abbreviation for &#8220;des palourdes mortes", which is French
for &#8220;the dead clams&#8221;. The entire French phrase is &#8220;Les
longs sanglots des palourdes mortes blessent mon coeur avec un
languor monotone pendant qu'ils dansent &agrave; minuit", which
translates to &#8220;The long sobs of the dead clams wound my heart
with a monotonous languor as they dance at midnight&#8221;. The idea
was to include this phrase in a cache log to clue in others that the
cache was of low quality. Rarely actually used, as the meaning of DPM
quickly spread throughout the geocaching community, and its secrecy
Jared Ross wrote:
 cite="mid20070210193108.84222.qmail at web36215.mail.mud.yahoo.com"
 type="cite">
the caches in our state? Maybe we need a special acronym. Instead of
TFTC we could have DWYT (Don't Waste Your Time). Of course we could
always start using this website to generate log entries for us: <a
 target="_blank"
My favorite generated log entry: "This cache was ill-conceived and
ill-received. You should turn your GPS over to the nearest authorities!
TNLN and almost didn't bother signing the log!!"<br>