[Az-Geocaching] Am I missing something - Magellen 200s

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 14 12:21:44 MST 2006

>From: "Brian Casteel" <bcasteel at uccinc.net>
>Most need the GPS to get into the general
>vicinity, but there are some who cache exclusively without a GPS.  I've
>found a dozen or so sans GPS just by studying satellite maps and
>topography...

Another fun and challenging way to find a cache is to plot the coordinates
of the cache on a standard 7.5' topo map (use the UTM grid on the map and
subdivide this grid down to 100 x 100 meter grids and then down to 10 x 10
meter grid (I use a transparent grid to overlay on the map to break it down
to the 10 x 10 meter grid so I dont have to draw so many lines on the topo
map). Then, using the UTM coordinates for the cache, plot it on the map. I
think this is the most accurate method for plotting a waypoint on a topo
map. You should be able to get it down to a few feet. Then go out and try to
find it without the GPS. This requires you to continually plot your location
(In relation to the cache) so you know where you are and where you have to
go to get to the cache. Just the basic tools. A sighting compass, a
traditional baseplate compass and the 7.5' topo for the area of the cache.
We tried this a few years ago on a couple of caches in the Superstition
Wilderness Area. I had my GPS in my backpack, but never used it. We thought
it would be easier to find an ammo box in the wilderness using this method
then to try and find a micro in the city.

If anyone is up for a hike for a couple of caches someday using this method,
let me know. I would love to try it again. We were successful on finding two
caches that day. I havent tried this since, but it would be fun to do again.

Ive always wanted to do an orienteering competition (for fun), but to this
day have still not tried it.

We can get very spoiled with a GPS and just staring at a red pointer to lead
you to a cache. But what if you ever lost the use of your GPS while on a
hike? Could you find your way back?

Scott
Team Ropingthewind