[Az-Geocaching] Am I missing something - Magellen 200s

AZTech aztech.gc at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 23:16:38 MST 2006

I recently switched from an eTrex Vista to the eXplorist 500 and couldn't be happier.  I now have a color screen, SD card support, USB interface and Topo maps, as well as a much more intuitive user interface, for about half ($180) what I paid for the Vista (~$300).  Using my Pocket PC and CacheMate, I can do true paperless (and PC/laptop-less) caching as I can export waypoints onto the SD card in either .gs or .wpt formats for direct use within my GPSr.  I've also found the eXplorist to be much more accurate, especially in areas that used to give my Vista fits.

As far as the battery situation, I bought the 500LE, which comes with the adapter that lets you use 3 AAAs.  I found myself going through AAAs quickly, so I purchased a couple Li-Ion batteries (w/wall wart) from Magellan for just $20 each and am getting about 15-20 hrs between recharges.

BTW, anyone want to buy a used eTrex Vista?  :D

David - AZTech