[Az-Geocaching] New changes at Groundspeak

ShadowAce shadowace.az at gmail.com
Wed May 17 15:55:52 MST 2006

For those, like myself, who avoid the forums I noticed these two today and
thought I would share:

------------ Regarding TB Logging ------------------
Lately there has been an increase in logging activity for Travel Bugs and
Geocoins. Unfortunately many people were picking up and dropping these items
into the same geocache so they could increase their find count or receive a
new trackable icon in their profile. As a result we have created a new log
type which also goes towards your profile count without causing unnecessary
extra movements for the trackable item.

The new log type is called "Discovered it" and can be used if you have the
tracking number for the icon. Please use this if you have no plans to move
the Travel Bug or geocoin to a new location.

------------ Regarding the changing of Names ---------------

We're working on customizing an application for use with Geocaching.com that
will require us to lock down the ability to change your username. As a
result on May 15th we will be locking down the username change feature on
the web site.

The technical issue relates to a fundimental part of their application that
stores usernames in the database outside of the account data. This means
that if we did make username changes in our account database it would
require a tremendous effort to automatically update the other system with
the username change.

Generally sites don't allow name changes like we've been allowing over the
last 5 years, so we're moving towards the generally accepted standard for
most web sites. It's an unfortunate change but necessary considering the
importance of the new features.

For those who just can't live without changing their usernames we'll do our
best to come up with some tools to move your information over to a new
username. You can already do adoptions <http://www.geocaching.com/adopt> to
your new account but there is no current way to move other information like
bookmark lists, premium memberships, or log entries.

 (UPDATED WITH)

The lockdown has been changed to May 20, so you have a few more days to get
your name changes in.

 That is all I have. :)

ShadowAce