[Az-Geocaching] Was Garmin 76CS now Jeeps now general 4x4

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Wed May 3 17:38:02 MST 2006

>From: Brian Casteel <bcasteel at uccinc.net>
>To: listserv at azgeocaching.com
>Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Was Garmin 76CS now Jeeps now general 4x4
>Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 14:39:46 -0600
>
>If he's going to drop the coin, he may as well do both, since the
>compressor hurts less when you have 2 lockers to drive with it.  Of course,
>Ox Lockers might be the better option, since air leaks aren't an issue on a
>cable activated locker system.  The only problem I have with my lockers is
>that under power both wheels spin at the same rate due to the lockers, even
>though the outside wheels want to spin faster.  It causes a chirping
>effect, but no big deal.

That is one reason I guess I would prefer to not go with a detroit in the
rear. I dont like that 'chirping' noise that it makes when you are making
slow turns on pavement. I have a posi trac rear in my 2wd 1/2 ton truck and
it actually makes a 'grinding' type noise when turning. I am guessing a
detroit locker in the rear might have a simular effect, although not totally
so, since a detroit locker is not fully 'locked' all the time either. The
nice thing about ARB's is that they activate on command. So when you are
driving down the highway, they are totally dis-engaged and the rear is open.
This might be picky, but it would also be slightly better for gas mileage
and also slightly better for tire wear to not have the rear locked. Would
that not be a true statement? I have never had a detroit locker in the rear,
so I dont know. Any impute there would be appreciated. I havent ruled out
possibly a detroit in the rear and an OX locker in the front. I do like the
cable activation. There is also an electric locker on the market. However,
both of these (I beleive) are only available for the front differential on
my truck. ??? As far as the air hoses go on the ARB's... I have heard of
them being punctured (they could, obviously so). I was thinking of perhaps
running that air hose thru that hose covering that is stainless steel
braided. Something like that to protect it. Would look nice too. The air
compressor is nice also for airing down/up your tires. I agree the ARB's are
a bit more complicated than a simple detroit. I hear the ARB's are rather
bulletproof. I havent read of any types of failures with them and once they
are in, they are trouble free. I have only heard of problems with the hose
punctures.

>Before the statement is made, yes this applies to Geocaching.  While you
>can get pretty much anywhere on foot that you can get to with a 4x4,
>discussing easier ways to get to the cache through vehicular modification
>certainly fits the bill.  :)

Yep... and some caches require locked diff's to get too! :) So there! :) LOL

I would like to try that 'ditch' test. Although on my crew cab... I would
bet there would be some serious frame tweaking! :) LOL

http://offroadworld.tenmagazines.com/showownerpic.ten-u-5328-n-136486-pos-1

Scott
Team Ropingthewind