[Az-Geocaching] Was Garmin 76CS now Jeeps now general 4x4

George Harris george at customcals.com
Wed May 3 13:17:19 MST 2006

Nobody needs AC, but it sure is nice if you want to do something between May
and October around here. I'm a big fan of simplicity too, but a failed AC
unit won't keep you from getting home. I guess I should finally install that
Vintage Air system in the Ramus I've had for like 3 years now. BTW, if you
prefer simplicity, you migh ditch the ARBs, at least in the rear.  Hard to
beat the simplicity and strength of a rear Detroit.

You might watch Ebay for the GV units. I see them on there all the time
going for $1500-$2000.  Caveat Emptor though.

The patented test ditch is now a housing development.  But find any ditch
about 4' deep, and drive across it diagonally.  When one front and one rear
tire is suspended, forward motion will stop with open diffs.  With even one
locker, you can just idle across it.  That was the demonstration that
illustrated the utility of lockers to Brian, way back in his noob days.

> Who needs A/C!? I havent had air conditioning in my 74' GMC truck in over
14
> years! When it is cold out, I close the windows. When it is hot out, I
open
> them! All that other gadgetry is just more stuff to break. I like to keep
my
> trucks as simple as possible, making them easy to work on and most
reliable.
> My latest truck I bought last year is a K3500 crew cab. No A/C and no
> special interior features. Just plain and simple.. just the way I like
it!!!

> >They both had pretty much street tires, no lockers, and no
> >lift.  Yet, they never got stuck, went everywhere I could, and back at
the
> >highway, they put it in 2Hi, clicked on the AC, and tooled back home in
> >smooth overdrive comfort.  Pretty cool.
>
> Did someone say overdrive? That is one thing my K3500 needs. Those 4.56
> gears and the 4 speed tranny really isnt very highway friendly! :) I dont
> mind. But it sure pisses off everyone else behind me on the freeway! It
> cracks me up seeing how impatient people are on the freeways around here!
Go
> ahead... run into that big fat rear bumper (with the over 1/4" thick steel
> plates behind it!)! Although, for gas mileage and for better mountain
> highway driving, a Gear Vendor overdrive unit would be nice. But at almost
> $3000... ouch!!! A planned future upgrade of course. But the ARB air
lockers
> are more important than the mileage right now. :)
>
> >Your Jeep sounds pretty impressive now. You have come a long way since
the
> >day we installed the lockers in my driveway, and tested them in the
> >Patented
> >Test Ditch.
>
> The patented test ditch? Where is this ditch? When I get the lockers on my
> big truck.... I will have to take a run at it and see if it will make it!
:)