[Az-Geocaching] One Degree project?

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 25 00:07:24 MST 2006

>From: "Trisha Brasher" <>
>To: listserv at azgeocaching.com
>Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] One Degree project?
>Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 22:46:21 -0700
>
>Awhile back I wanted to put caches at degree confluences in the area, and
>found that it is not that easy. There are a couple degree confluences up
>this way (Yavapai Co....So Coco Co) that you can't easily get to....one is
>on the VERY PRIVATE LAND of the Luis Maria Baca Float (#5) NW of Camp Wood
>at N 35 W 113 (we can't even get permission to cross their property for
>searches!) and the one in Sycamore Cyn looks like it would require climbing
>equipment, or suspension in thin air! N35 W112.
>Trisha
>Lightning

That float is some interesting stuff. There is plenty of history on it that
can be found on the internet. Anyways, there is a degree confluence project
and a couple of guys apparently did get access in 2003 to take pictures for
this project. apparently, this first guy to attempt to get permission was
denied... but the second attempt by these two guys was allowed by the ranch
manager... after putting together a nice presentation to the ranch manager
about the project. There are pictures and info on this visit here:

http://www.confluence.org/confluence.php?id=149

.. and for some really fun stuff, check this link out:

http://www.zetatalk.com/index/newmexco.htm

This is really just a bunch of nonsense, I think. Some crackpot apparently
thinks the float is some kind of 'area 51' top secret military installation.
He says he has seen strange lights and helicopters. He says the airspace
over it is military airspace... it isn't. He also says the satellite imagery
and GPS maps and such are blank in this area. Not true. Plenty of topo
detail for this area and Google earth shows it just fine. The guy goes on to
say in this story that he tried to take photos of this land and they did not
come out. It is nothing more than a big private ranch. I guess the folks
that own and operate it like their privacy though!

Placing caches on private property doesnt seem to bother some geocachers
apparently. So let's sneak in there in the dark of night, place a cache
smack dab in the middle of it and see who is brave enough to go for the
FTF!!! :)) LOL  (just kidding!)

Someone has conquered the 35/112 confluence in the sycamore wilderness. You
can drive to within 1.5 miles of it and then it is a pretty serious hike
from there. Here is the link:

http://www.confluence.org/confluence.php?id=93

This confluence project is very interesting. I wonder how many AZ
confluences actually have caches at them? Hhhhmmm.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind