[Az-Geocaching] REI experience

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 6 23:25:30 MST 2006

>From: AZcachemeister <>

>REI is a Co-operative.
>As such, the members are the 'owners'.
>I have been a member since I was 15, which is 37 years of satisfaction.
>
>As a part owner, I take exception to being called a 'ripoff'!

Now, now, now stevey... :)

The ripoff thing was partly a joke... although I do find REI to be much more
expensive than other places. I dont think I have ever bought something from
REI... but have gone in there looking for something many times. I just
always end up finding what I am looking for cheaper elsewhere! So no, they
arent a ripoff, just more expensive than some other places! But that is
understandable, since they have to pay all their members off every year! :)
LOL

>One of the things to be kept in mind when shopping at REI , is that members
>get approximately 10% of their total purchases returned to them in their
>yearly dividend. Basically any money left over, after operational expenses
>are covered, is returned to the members. This fact, combined with the wide
>selection and liberal return policy, pretty much squashes the ripoff
>theory!

That is actually pretty cool. 10 percent can add up if you purchase a GPS
unit or two and some camping gear from time to time. That could amount to a
couple hundred bucks at the end of the year!

>Too bad they don't carry balloon envelopes, you could be getting a $200
>dividend, Scott!

Lets see, 10 percent of $18,000.... I hope they give me more than

Scott
Team Ropingthewind