[Az-Geocaching] GSAK

Steven Stringham sstringh at stringham-family.org
Sat Aug 26 18:59:09 MST 2006

Well, following Shadowace's advice a while back, I started getting
pocket queries of all AZ caches. Using what AZTech provided (included
below - and thank you very much), you can get them all in 10 queries.

So, with a full list, you can filter the caches, print lists, etc.
however you wish, whenever, and you keep up with the newer and older
caches, etc.

The only weakness in this plan is the older archived caches. You don't
get updates on a cache once it is archived. So, every now and then you
have to filter by oldest updates and go and download these ones to get
them updated individually.

This way, I have pretty much the whole history of AZ caching in one
database. Kind of nice. There are a number of archived caches that are
not there, but I am working on that.

Because GSAK can have multiple databases, uploading from the GPS is
simple into another separate databases for the quick look at your
activity (as suggested by AZSonburnt).

This does create quite a large database. I have some 5900+ caches in
mine - including ones I have found in other states. This also lets me
filter to just my activities.

When we go on a family vacation (out of state), I use pocket queries to
build another database of caches on my route (in the other states, etc.)
I sure liked the new feature of building a cache along a route from GC.
That was great on my trip to Washington this summer. I put these all in
the database, then export them all in one monster gpx file. These I
import into MS Mappoint, or mapsource, or whatever. Then, as we go
along, my wife (or myself if I am passenger) can use the "current
location" feature of the mapping program (attached to the GPS) to see
what caches are coming up. You then look at it offline in GSAK. The
passenger (my wife!) then decides what caches we do. So, I get a
breadcrumb trail of caches on the trip, and she gets to do caches that
have at least some small interest to her. But, I don't have to do too
much research ahead of time, as she does it on the way. Also, we then
can pass up the parking lot micros, and find funner caches along the
way. This trip, we stopped by a cache just north of Moab, UT, and got to
see dinosaur tracks in the rocks. There was no road sign, but there was
a parking lot, and state control of the site, and cache close by. This
was a fun stop. It didn't take too long, and she enjoyed herself. Go
GSAK and pocket queries!

AZ Tech wrote:
Sometime back, ShadowAce provided me with a list of PQs that included
all of the active caches in Arizona.  Lately, the 10th has gotten close
to the 500 cache limit, so rather than just add an 11th, I went through
and changed the dates to reflect the fact that some of the caches are
now inactive.  So, for those who are interested, here is my list of PQs
for Arizona (you should be able to save these in your own PQ list,
assuming you're a Premium Member of course):

AZ01 (01 Aug 00 - 07 Oct 02)
<http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/gcquery.aspx?guid=10c2c597-1e29-4ea7-9329-3eb60a7a1cb3>
AZ02 (08 Oct 02 - 06 Jun 03)
<http://www.geocaching.com/pocket/gcquery.aspx?guid=5b969f8e-fcf9-4ae1-a7b0-e2897de513d5>