[Az-Geocaching] A bit of history - question

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 11 08:46:36 MST 2006

>From: Bob Renner <renner001 at yahoo.com>

>That cache was Metro Pecan.  It was an ammo box bolted
>to the stump of a sawed off limb on a pecan tree just
>north of 31st Ave and Camelback.  I have a list of the
>first 100 caches in AZ at home.  I'll try to post it
>this evening if I have time before we go camping.

Team360 made a discovery several months ago. He noticed the coordinates
posted on an example cache page somewhere on gc.com and was curious to know
what was at the posted coordinates. Well one day me and 360 drove over to
that location. We found a field that was plowed over, for the most part.
There was an old tree stump right at the coordinates. We figured maybe there
used to be a cache hanging in that tree. Well... as we were looking
around... I saw a peice of metal sticking out of the ground that looked
familiar... like the lid of an ammo box! I pulled it out of the ground and
it was the hinge and lid of an old ammo box! We were now quite sure there
used to be a cache at those coordinates. 360 got on gc.com and found the
archived cache page for the Metro Pecan cache! So we are now holding a piece
of history! (expect to see it on ebay with a starting bid around $7500!
LOL). ;) Anyways, I also found another item laying on the ground... and I
cant remember what it was... but it was an item you would typically find in
a geocache. I thought it was really cool to find that piece of the ammo box.
That cache had been archived for a few years. I dont think there is any
doubt that was a peice of the ammo box from the Metro Pecan Cache. Is it
possible that they plowed the field over (and cut the trees) and plowed the
cache into the ground? We didnt do any digging, but we didnt find any other
remnants of an ammo box otherwise.

Team Ropingthewind