[Az-Geocaching] OT: Jeep question

Brian Casteel bcasteel at uccinc.net
Fri Sep 2 13:33:49 MST 2005

They're probably MIA.  Depending on the bumper, it would take one heck of an
impact to tweak it, unless it's bump sensitive from certain
directions/angles.  I don't have airbags, but whatever is there would be
gone with the 4x2 plate steel bumpers being built right now.  I thought the
sensors went under the hood near the grille to register the movement from
there.

As for bumpers useful for Jeepin', I was sandwiched on my way to work one
day by a car that hit me at about 40mph.  My foot was ejected from the brake
pedal, and the energy transferred me into an Audi A6, which was promptly
totaled.  The bumperettes on the rear took the damage, with one completely
collapsing in on itself, while the other merely bent downward and out
slightly.  A little hammering with a BFH, and it's good as new for the new
bumper.  The front bumper is bowed upward ever so slightly, with only a few
obvious paint scratches.  Total damage?  $1300 (including the bike rack bent
from the impact).  Total damage to the other cars?  Totaled x2.  I wouldn't
say the stock bumpers are all that weak exactly, and I have 2x 7000lb-rated
tow hooks on the front to go with it.  It's also confirmed that I have no
frame damage.  Go Jeep!  :)

Brian
Team A.I.