[Az-Geocaching] Our neighbors up north need our help

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Tue Oct 4 21:30:41 MST 2005

I just received the following message via geocaching.com.  It sounds
like canada is in a similar place that we were a couple of years ago, so
any help that you could give would be appreciated.

-----------
Hello from Alberta, Canada.  I got your geo-caching name from a report
on your Arizona Geocaching Website (nice website) that really caught my
eye as it looks like you folks are already dealing with concerns from
the government like we are starting to.

I have been asked to meet with the Alberta Forest Service on October 12
to explain geocaching to them and so they can decide whether it is a
permissable activity on public land.  Needless to say this is an
important meeting for us as 70% of Alberta is public land.

Can you steer me to any state or federal policies you are aware of that
support geocaching.  I have found a 2003 memorandum from the Bureau of
Land Management which fits the bill but need more ammunition.  If you
have any other suggestions on making our case, they would be appreciated.

I am also sending this to Team Tierra Buena On and Pet Posse to ensure
at least one of your group gets it.

Thanks for any help.  We are getting ready to start our winter
geocaching season here.  Three feet of snow on the ground sometimes
makes a cache pretty hard to find but other times the beaten path
through the woods makes it easy.

Happy Geocaching.