[Az-Geocaching] coordinate confusion

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 27 18:58:47 MST 2005

>From: "wogun" <wogun1 at cox.net>
>To: <listserv at azgeocaching.com>
>Subject: [Az-Geocaching] coordinate confusion
>Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 18:53:27 -0700
>
>Today we ran a pocket query of Apache Junction caches and downloaded the
>info into our Garmin 60 CS.  We also downloaded the same file into a pda.
>However, the coordinates in the Garmin did not match the coordinates on the
>PDA for one particular cache.   I checked the cache description on line and
>the PDA matches what is on line. The Garmin is wrong. This has actually
>happened more than once.  Usually it is just an inconvenience and we catch
>it right away. Today it cost us an hour of searching in rough terrain at
>the
>end of a hike and we did not find the cache.  Can any one explain what is
>happening?

I would doubt it has anything to do with the GPS. It is likely in the cache
file itself. I take it you are downloading from a query on the gc.com
premium services with the GPS and PDA files? I used those files for a short
time and I never noticed that before and have never had any problems. But
that is definetly an interesting catch! That would definetly suck to find
out the coords where wrong! Any chance it is the 3rd party 'middleman'
program you are using that is distorting the coords?

Scott
Team Ropingthewind