[Az-Geocaching] Re: Another new feature at GC.com (moving on)

Jared Ross jaredmross at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 4 08:00:50 MST 2005

Yeah, I've gotta jump in here and agree with Cachemeister, ShadowAce and anyone else that understands the power of combining PQs with GSAK. Sure you could keep bringing up how great and easy it was in the "good ol' days" or send your email to gc.com and wait a few years, but I'd rather not have my inbox filled with the nonsense ramblings when there are perectly good alternatives.

It's all about flexibility. Some of us are upset because we can't download the exact file format that we want to from gc.com. Maybe that's because they don't want to seem impartial to one software over the other (or maybe they're just lazy). However, incorporating that dreaded "middle-man" with a little upfront effort (yes, a LITTLE) you can get that selective power and more out of what gc.com does offer. Others have mentioned GSAK and their own ways of obtaining their data. I agree with them all and they're all great ways of achieving the same ultimate goal. So, just to add another route for getting from point A to point B, here's my method.

I first began with a ShadowAce approach grabbing all caches based on the date they were placed. It takes a little tweaking of the dates but pretty soon you'll have a full list. (For those that had been getting their info from azgc you can simply use the date you last got an update from azgc as your start date.

Once you've got all of these .gpx files it's a simple click here and there and then GSAK goes to work addding them to your Cache Database.

Then to keep things updated I have an Update PQ that runs once a week and grabs all of the caches placed within the last week. And now the real fun begins!

>From here on out it's all about personalization. With the filter option that GSAK provides you can quickly receive a list of all caches you haven't found yet. Just export that to whatever mapping software you'd like or even send the waypoints to your GPSr. Sort those unfound caches by distance or even direction (or both!) and you can easily see what cache is closest for a quick grab. I keep track of all my log entries by copying and pasting my online logs into the "user data" area for each cache I find. While figuring out what caches I want to do over a long day of caching, I just click the checkbox next to each, switch to the "user selected" view and export those to my preferred mapping software, an instant customized cache trip and map! The best part is once I return from my long day of caching I can just right-click on a cache and select "Log Cache" and it takes me directly to the log page for that cache (no hunting it down or searching for it on the gc.com site. I also keep a
 filter for all my DNFs so I know which ones I still need to go back for.

The options are basically unlimited. Sure it's different and it does create a middle man. And of course it's change and some people just can't deal with change. But I assure you, if you give it an honest shot (and keep in mind that currently you just can't have it the way it once was) I think you've got a 95% chance of liking it.

Just my 2 cents. Well, actually that was rather long so it was more like a nickel or so.

Take Care,
Jared

AZcachemeister <azcachemeister at getnet.com> wrote:What he said. Not only that, GSAK can export to: NG Topo,  MS Streets and Trips, DeLorme Street Atlas, MapSend (Magellan), ---> Long list!

So now we have:
EMail--->GSAK--->GPS
                          |--->PDA
                          |--->Your favorite mapping software

Azpaul1 wrote:
I will add my 2 cents worth now. I was downloading PQs using zip codes fordifferent areas of the state, until Shadowace taught me his method of 9 PQsa week and in a short while I have a database of 3687 caches. Its not everycache in the state, but enough to keep my busy for a long while.I to use GSAK as my waypoint management tool. It imports my PQs and I cansort them just about anyway I want to. With GSAK, you can send them directlyto you gpsr and in my case to my palm pilot also.I highly recommend GSAK.Paul aka "AZPAUL"----- Original Message ----- From: "Koch, Dan" <Dan.Koch at Eclipsys.com>To: <listserv at azgeocaching.com>Sent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 4:23 PMSubject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] Re: Another new feature at GC.com

As you said Brian...New tricks.  'In the past' just isn't going to cut itanymore.I always recommend GSAK.  For those that don't know, it's kind of acombination EasyGPS (waypoint management) and Watcher (cache detailsmanagement). It'll download your .gpx files out of your POP email accountfor you and will export into any of several output formats (NG Topoincluded) as well as into Garmin and Magellan GPSs.Besides, who really needs a listing of all 3000 caches the state every

day.

And what's wrong with caches in NM...or CA... or ...LazyK - Dan-----Original Message-----From: az-geocaching-bounces at listserv.azgeocaching.com[mailto:az-geocaching-bounces at listserv.azgeocaching.com] On Behalf Of

Brian

CasteelSent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 4:11 PMTo: listserv at azgeocaching.comSubject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] Re: Another new feature at GC.comOutside of considering your e-mail application a 3rd-party application, Idon't see any more than one application being required to get them into amapping program.  PQ-->E-mail-->EasyMPS-->MapSource, at least in my case.There are other applications I can choose to use depending on how I want

setup my hunts, which doesn't really bother me all that much.  I can useWatcher if I want to look at EVERYTHING about the cache, then can filter

by

direction/distance/difficulty/hider/etc...and save a custom .gpx that I

can

use for both Cachemate and EasyMPS to import into my Garmin MapSourceapplication.  Heck, some applications directly import .gpx applications.I'm all about finding solutions until something better comes along, sincecomplaining only reduces my caching time.Also, there just doesn't seem to be any benefit in continuing to rehash

how

it was 'in the past', since it's obvious that at this point, the past is

no

longer going to occur, unless you have fashioned a flux capacitor and own

Delorean (sp?).  Adaptation is much less time consuming in the long run

than

only hoping that the past returns.BrianTeam A.I.-----Original Message-----From: az-geocaching-bounces at listserv.azgeocaching.com[mailto:az-geocaching-bounces at listserv.azgeocaching.com] On Behalf Of

Roping

The WindSent: Thursday, November 03, 2005 3:56 PMTo: listserv at azgeocaching.comSubject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] Re: Another new feature at GC.comI was thinking the same thing... was just wondering when someone else

would

chime in!  :)The gc.com team data downloads (PQ's) are NOT user friendly. It requires

the

use of more than one third party software. I'm glad I am not into thenumbers anymore or I would be pulling my hair out without

azgeocaching.com's

SIMPLISTIC team spec downloads!ScottTeam RTW

From: Team Sprocket <scottsparks1 at gmail.com>Reply-To: listserv at azgeocaching.comTo: az-geocaching at listserv.azgeocaching.comSubject: [Az-Geocaching] Re: Another new feature at GC.comDate: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 15:39:14 -0700Brian wrote:

You could easily do the same thing with PQs. For example, mark coords

for

several points throughout the state, ensuring that there is guaranteedoverlap, minimizing as much as possible to ensure you get thecomplete/accurate results. When the PQs are downloaded, load EasyMPS

and

you can double-click each of the PQs and load several, then open

directly

into MapSource. The newer version of EasyMPS will allow you to selectmultiple .gpx files and open them with fewer steps too. Of course,

this

is

a Garmin-specific nifty feature, but what can you do?

Let's review:Step 1: For example, mark coords for

several points throughout the state, ensuring that there is guaranteedoverlap, minimizing as much as possible to ensure you get thecomplete/accurate results.

This in itself is more complex than it sounds. If I select point A and

set

my PQ for a 50 mile radius and then point B with the same radius,

allowing

several miles of overlap, but there turns out to be 600 caches within 50miles of point A, my PQ will only show me 500. Even if Point B overlaps,

if

there are 480 caches within 50 miles of point B, chances are I may only

get

20 (or even 40 or 60) of the 100 caches missing caches from the first PQ.With cache locations being dynamic, I see no way of ensuring full

coverage

with 100% accuracyStep 2:When the PQs are downloaded,After I wait 24 hours, or up to 6 days, depending when that PQ wasdowloadedlast.... and assuming you don't need more than 5 PQ's (the daily limit)

securely cover the whole state.Step 3:load EasyMPSAnother 3rd party program to clutter up my HD...Step 4: you can double-click each of the PQs and load several,Step 5:

open directlyinto MapSource

Don't own it / Never heard of it / Does not compute / "I can't let you dothat, Dave" / Won't work with my GPS... (unlike NG Topo!, which isn't

brand

specific.) It takes a little more initial legwork, but I don't think that's any

big

deal.

A little??...I'll stand by my initial observation. "I can't see an _easy_ way to do

this

with PQ's."As I said before, sure it can be done... but it ain't easy. Heck, I'malready maintaining a map of all my unfound caches now that is lesscomplicated than above but still isn't as easy as selecting a check boxlabeled, "All caches I haven't found in [select state]."-- Sprocket

____________________________________________________________Az-Geocaching mailing list listserv at azgeocaching.comTo edit your setting, subscribe or unsubscribe visit:http://listserv.azgeocaching.com/mailman/listinfo/az-geocachingArizona's Geocaching Resourcehttp://www.azgeocaching.comDISCLAIMER:This message is confidential, intended only for the named recipient(s) andmay contain information that is privileged or exempt from disclosure underapplicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are

notified

that the dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is

strictly

prohibited. If you receive this message in error, or are not the namedrecipient(s), please notify the sender at either the e-mail address or bycalling the telephone number associated with this transmission. Pleasedelete this e-mail from your computer (or discard this fax).  Thank You.____________________________________________________________Az-Geocaching mailing list listserv at azgeocaching.comTo edit your setting, subscribe or unsubscribe visit:http://listserv.azgeocaching.com/mailman/listinfo/az-geocachingArizona's Geocaching Resourcehttp://www.azgeocaching.com____________________________________________________________Az-Geocaching mailing list listserv at azgeocaching.comTo edit your setting, subscribe or unsubscribe visit:http://listserv.azgeocaching.com/mailman/listinfo/az-geocachingArizona's Geocaching Resourcehttp://www.azgeocaching.com