[Az-Geocaching] Garmin Rino130

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Sun May 1 15:36:02 MST 2005

>From: "William Noll" <wnoll at cybertrails.com>

>Current rules only allow the Rino to transmit position data on the
>FRS channels. So you may be using the higher power GMRS channels for voice,
>but only the lower power channels for position data, and of course,
>distance
>will be a factor then.
>Obviously, higher power equals better range. Minimizing trees,
>mountains, and other interference between users also increases useable
>range.

Thanks for the post Bill! Regarding the positioning data: Garmin was just
issued a waiver from the FCC to allow the position data to be transmitted on
the higher GMRS frequencies.
http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/mobile/020805.html
So even if you dont use a license and you only operate voice on the FRS, you
will now be able to use the GMRS freq's for positioning data. This I just
read the other day on the Garmin website. The waiver allows for users to
transmit position data on the GMRS without a license. This would certainly
improve my interest in the Rhino130 unit as the positioning data is
important to me and one of the reasons I am interested in the unit. If you
have an older Rhino unit, Garmin will have a free software update to allow
current owners of Rhino units to have the ability to use the new improved
position reporting.

>The only other factor is whether it is legal to use an unlicensed
>radio during a licensed activity (are you Part 135?). But that's between
>you
>and the 'gubment!

No. Balloon operations are conducted under Part 91.

>Bottom line: Buy the highest power GMRS radio possible. The Rino
>offers an excellent mix of GPS/FRS/GMRS, but there will be power
>differences
>between voice and data.

Yea, I was also thinking about putting a higher powered GMRS radio in the
truck. This in turn would improve the handheld (in this case, the Rhino130)
on the other end, so to speak. But I like the idea of having two Rhino 130
units. This way, I can track the ground crew and they can track me (if we
are not in view of each other) AND the ground crew will also have a GPS that
has downloadable topo map data in it (the same GPS and topo data that I have
with me in the air). The other nice thing about the Rhino130 for
ballooning... instead of having two units with me in the balloon, radio and
GPS, I now would only need the one unit that will do both! Currently, I
generally have the GPSMAP 60C around my neck (in my shirt pocket) when I fly
and my radio in a pouch in the basket. I could now have both in one unit
within easy reach (around my neck!).

One more observation I have made on the Rhino130 (and 110 and 120 for that
matter)... they look incredibly similar to the 60C/CS models! I would guess
that they will likely have the Rhino available with full color screens soon.
Also, the Rhino only has 24mb of map storage (which aint bad really) and the
60C has 56mb available. My guess is the next Rhino that comes out will
probably have 56mb available as well and also have color screen. So my
thinking is I will wait until the end of the summer to see if they do come
out with a newer model. I hate to purchase 2 of these babies and then find
out a better unit comes along!!!! :) I enjoy using the color mapping of my
60C while flying now and would hate to relegate down to the old style
black/white screen.

My big concern right now is whether I will get the same range out of the
Rhino's radio that I am getting with my Motorola radio's currently. That is
what I need to experiment with most right now.

All in all, I think I like what I am hearing about the new Rhino 130...
particularly now that the positioning reporting will have better range. Now,
I am just going to probably wait awhile and see if they come out with a
color mapping version, as I am sure will be the next Rhino unit put out
(140?).

Scott
Team Ropingthewind