[Az-Geocaching] spam

Noshdoo Tsoh geocaching at deepsouthwest.com
Tue Mar 29 09:04:42 MST 2005

I've been using my geocaching email address for over two years and was proud
to say I haven't received any spam email. I posted to this listserv last
week and now I am beginning to get junk emails sent to my geocaching email
address. I investigated a little bit and here's what I found:

All posts are allowed to be Googled by the listserve admins (they are
searchable on Google). That is not a problem by itself. But when certain
users on the listserve reply to someone else's post, their email program
settings cause the original email address to be shown, even if your email
address wasn't shown in the original message. Hotmail seems to do this,
maybe others.

If you receive spam to your listserve address, try this:

1. go to http://www.google.com
2. enter in your listserve email address and search
3. if any entries come up, there's a guaranteed spam source
(all entries may not be from this listserve, though they are in my case)

I'd be interested to hear other comments, insights on this. I hate spam, as
I'm sure most do. If there's no way to avoid this on this listserve, I would
be more comfortable with a forum format where emails could be better
protected.

noshdoo tsoh