[Az-Geocaching] Poll

Gale sonoralovesmommy at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 13:32:16 MST 2005

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
Then why the secrecy of the caches until you’re sponsored by two people?  Allowing open view of caches should exist regardless of whether or not one is a member and sponsored.  The secrecy of available caches to me implies that someone is trying to hide something.

Open viewing allows anyone, regardless of whether or not they are registered, to know where the caches are and to vandalize them. Isnt that why so many have pushed for members only caches on gc.com? Im not sure if that is why the caches are not visible unless you are a member, but that doesnt seem unreasonable to me.

The thing that really gets me now is that you in particular referred to sponsors above you as your ‘upline’.  I don’t know if that was meant in jest regarding Jake’s comment, but I personally have some bad memories of being pitched by people involved in Quixtar to join up and sell my soul so a billionaire above me can buy a new jet.  Jake seems to be right in that respect, that’s it’s the Geocaching MLM.

No it was not meant in jest. Nor was it meant to be offfensive, or to reflect on a pyramid scheme or anything. There is nothing to gain or lose at that site by where you are regarding sponsorship. Pyramid schemes involve money. Nothing is involved here.

If you don’t believe that the site was founded by a disgruntled GC.com cacher, and that most of the people migrating are doing so not because it’s a ‘new thing’, but because they too are disgruntled, I think you need to read the forums over there a little more closely.

I know that he is disgruntled. I also do not see that reflected in the caches or the cachers there. I do not think that site is a haven for renegades who have fled gc.com the way some others seem to think.

Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes
  On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:
"Something hidden.  Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --
  "Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling ,   The Explorer  1898