[Az-Geocaching] Clearance? We don't need no stinkin' clearance!

TEAM 360 team360usa at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 19:36:11 MST 2005

v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }
Ah yes.  Stock Jeep clearance leaves something to be desired, but still has quite a bit on the H2.  I’ve since gained 5” of ground clearance, and will pull a few more with a small body lift.  When I decide to go SOA, I’ll be sitting about a foot above where stock is (18”).  Of course, this isn’t taking into account the clearance I’ll gain from moving up to 35s or 38s either.  That’s another 3-6” above the foot I’d gain with a BL and SOA.

For those scratching their heads wondering, snuh?

BL=Body Lift.  Basically, you take a set of 6 machined pucks, unbolt the body from the frame, lift it and place the puck between the body/frame.  It’s a poor-mans lift kit, but I’m looking to steal an extra 1-1.5” of clearance so I don’t rub the fender flares anymore.  In this case, it compliments my existing lift.

SOA=Spring Over Axle.  This is where you take a vehicle with a leaf spring suspension and move the leaf packs from underneath the axle to mounting them on top of it.  Not only does it increase your ground clearance significantly, but it allows the axles the suspension to flex so much more.

This concludes today’s lesson in off-roading acronyms.  Next week:  What is an SYE, and what it can do for you?

Brian

Team A.I.

I have a TOTAL of 4.5" of clearance in the Vette. It's so low that I can't even do an oil change by myself, a plastic oil drain pan can't fit under it. It's so low that I can park my entire hood under Scott's tailgate on his new monster truck, and if his truck was 2" higher, I could completely drive underneath his tailgate.

Can't wait to hit some of those off-road trails on the way to the Cochran Cache Event this weekend...WOOO HOOO!! HANG ON, BABY!!

http://mail.yahoo.com