[Az-Geocaching] Maximum square mile cache density

Tim Giron tgiron at cox.net
Tue Mar 15 06:17:08 MST 2005

Having reviewed my numbers from last night, I see that I made an
error on the vertical, and "re-used" some space for neighboring
vertical squares (still good on the horizontal though.  Therefore, I
have to drop a single row of 10 and the number becomes 115.

I also worked up my numbers per the stated criteria of a 0.05 buffer
on all edges.  For this style, I get 106, as follows:

row     num  cumulative side length
  1       10          0.000
  2       10        528.000
  3       10       1056.000
  4        9       1513.261
  5       10       1970.523
  6        9       2427.784
  7       10       2885.046
  8        9       3342.307
  9       10       3799.568
10        9       4256.830
11       10       4714.091
         106

With the new max side length of 4,752 feet, approx 38 feet remains,
not enough to convert another row.

Bill... I think all the other kids left for the playground (AKA a cache).

Tim