[Az-Geocaching] http://www.terracaching.com/

Gale sonoralovesmommy at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 17:00:57 MST 2005

Ok. Like I said, I mostly joined TC out of curiosity. You can't really
see what is there until you are actually sponsored. And I am not excited
by what I see so far.

I am excited. There is so much potential on that site. Granted there is nothing here yet, but we can all build it. You have stated how you miss virtuals. This is a site that lists virtual caches. This is something I miss as well.

Yes, GC is a bit of a monopoly. But, it is open to find out what is
going on even before signing up. (You can see what caches are there!).
That also lets land managers search in their areas without
"sponsorship". I do kinda have a bit of a problem with the idea that
caches could be placed on TC and the land manager can't find out about
it. (Can we cache in the McDowell Preserve?).

The site clearly states that local geocaching land management rules apply. This is a self policing policy though.

My real question is, how can we work from within GC to change some of
this. If posting on a Forum the answer? Is Jeremy the "benevolent
dictator"? Does he listen to our concerns, or has he made up his mind,
and there is no appeal? I don't know the answer to this question.

Perhaps Brian is seeing something Im not seeing. I think Jeremy listens somewhat, but he also has his own idea of what geocaching should be, and it does not include some aspects others like. It is his site, so that is his choice, and his right. After 2 years of people requesting virtuals back, dont expect they will return as they used to be.

I do know we support GC with our subscriptions, and purchases (TB tags,
etc.) and activity. It really is a good site, generally. And the
programming does keep getting better. I do wish the site would open up
to places like AZGC for local support. (Thanks AZGC for all you do!)

It is a good site for the most part.

I think your beef is with the tougher rules. Am I right? So, is there an
appeals process? A virtual petition drive perhaps? What does Jeremy
listen to?

Steven Stringham
StringCachers

Guy Aldrich wrote:

>I think Geocaching com the monopoly needs some competition!Do you disagree?
>

>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:42:19 -0700, Steven Stringham
> wrote:
>

>>Ok. There are TWO (2) caches in AZ. And 58 In Montana (Land of the COLD!
>>Yeah, I know it's nice in the summer.). And I counted some 12 AZ cachers
>>now members. Most (like myself I guess) out of curiosity.
>>
>>Thanks to AZJedi and Cacheless (and an offer from Guy!) for sponsorship.
>>I did not take the immediate offer from the only one with terracaches in
>>AZ (as soon as I signed on!) (not an AZ Cacher).
>>
>>The two AZ caches available will NOT be visited by me any time soon.
>>They are both in Northern AZ, and I don't have plans that way in the
>>coming months. So, if caches on this site are place, I guess they better
>>be hidden by this bunch of 12. Also, both caches are virtuals. One on
>>Navajo land, the other on the edge of the canyon.
>>
>>So, Guy. Why? Is it a desire to be able to place the caches without
>>Artemis involvement? Or without Jeremy's rules? Is this in rebellion to
>>the newer tougher stance coming out of Seattle. So, a rebellion is in
>>order? (as I kinda stated in a previous post, which nobody seems to have
>>addressed - whine, whine - any cheese available?).
>>
>>I did notice in the "rules" or agreement an absolute statement that
>>sites like AZGC.com would not be able to harvest data from the site. I
>>found that an interesting way to start out.
>>
>>Steven Stringham
>>StringCachers
>>

>>Brian Casteel wrote:
>>

>>>Not letting Jeff off the hook, I wanted to add in something before
>>>addressing Guy. When it's 125 and burning down there, it'll be a
>>>breezy 85 or so up here. :) It's supposed to be 72 tomorrow. Guy,
>>>did you happen to see where terracaching.com is based?
>>>
>>>Brian
>>>Team A.I.
>>>
>>>----- Original Message ----- From: "AzRockhound"

>>>Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 9:52 PM
>>>Subject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] http://www.terracaching.com/

Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes
  On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:
"Something hidden.  Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --
  "Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling ,   The Explorer  1898