[Az-Geocaching] Re: Desert Critters

Bill Nolan bill at freeholder.com
Thu Mar 10 18:20:57 MST 2005

There are a lot of really neat animals to see in Arizona, and the lack of
heavy underbrush in most parts of the state means that you are probably more
likely to see them than in some parts of the country.

We have ponds in our backyard, and we live in a very rural area, so the
"permanent" water attracts a lot of wildlife.  (The ponds are artificial,
but have been there 8 years, so they seem natural to the wildlife.  In our
backyard we have seen javalina, coatis, skunks, bobcats, mountain lions,
black bears, several kinds of lizards, several kinds of snakes (but never a
rattler yet-  I think the king snakes keep them away), and over 100 species
of birds.  We have seen rattlesnakes many times on the trail.  My younger
son is a herpetologist, so he knows where to look.  He says the authority on
rattlesnakes is Klauber, and according to Klauber, rattlesnakes can strike
2/3 of their length.

Bill in Willcox