[Az-Geocaching] Mo' bettah caches!

Brian Casteel bcasteel at uccinc.net
Wed Mar 9 08:00:16 MST 2005

Get your butt up here somehow, and the answer is a resounding ABSOLUTELY.
I've been up to the area to place a cache called West Rosebuzz, but with my
in-laws and both kids there, I couldn't exactly take off on a stroll up the
mountain that day.  The drive in along the Beartooth Highway is absolutely
amazing, and helps the anticipation build to hit the trail.  3 miles beyond
is yet another lake (there's actually a series of lakes across the entire
range just a few miles from one another), and just beyond that is Granite
Peak, the highest peak in the state.  Treacherous is just about the perfect
word to describe the final few hundred feet to the summit as I understand
it.  You must basically lay across the mountain, and shimmy from one side to
the other with small cracks for your hands/feet to grab.  At least one dies
each year from it, but I think I'm a few years from attempting this summit,
as I need to condition myself to hiking at 11,000' + for such distances.

The more I think about it, the more excited I become, because I haven't had
a good hike like that in months.

Brian

Team A.I.

  _____