[Az-Geocaching] Mo' bettah caches!

Brian Casteel bcasteel at uccinc.net
Tue Mar 8 17:41:53 MST 2005

Hey now...I never said people couldn't express their opinions about what's
going on. :)  Too many times, things have become a personal issue, and this
is where flaming comes from, justifying the statement about
fighting/bickering.  Complaining about a certain cache type (in this case,
the now acronym'd LUM), could easily offend someone who hid such a cache,
such as newbies to the scene that I mentioned in my previous post.  Some may
roll their eyes at the prospect of it, but I'd be willing to bet that it
turned at least one person off from caching because others thought it wasn't
good enough.  At this point, the discussion has remained extremely civil,
something I'm glad for.  There have been groups that have all but imploded
because of such disagreements, and the civility of our responses so far has
been refreshing.  MOOG is a perfect example of what was once a strong group
that dissolved due to such vehement differences of opinion that they reached
a point where agreeing to disagree was no longer an option.

Also, I'm not sure how I said discussion was harmful, but rather the move to
revolt against Geocaching.com itself for the imposing of rules designed to
keep it good for all.  The statement that "you can't please everyone all the
time" is too true here.  There will always be disagreement on caches.  My
latest cache is a 10-stage night cache that weaves around a park nearby.
Because one person brought a 1-million candle-power spotlight (that died in
about 10 minutes), others present for the group funny ha-ha complained
because they 'didn't have a light that big'.  Since the cache wasn't
approved yet, we all agreed to meet one evening and let them search for it
as a group.  A few didn't even bring flashlights (um, it's a night cache
people) while others brought the $.99 special from BigLots!.  When I
submitted the cache for approval, I specified that at minimum a 2D MagLite
type light was preferred, primarily due to the ability to focus the beam.  I
also specified that a keen set of eyes were needed, as my placement of the
Firetacks added to the challenge.  I'm used to that aspect of it, but just
hope that if something comes out of this such as individual state groups
governing caches in cooperation, not defiance of Geocaching.com, that it's
done in a clean manner and one that benefits all.  Not just for the purpose
of thumbing noses at those who are trying to keep it good for all.

Brian
Team A.I.