[Az-Geocaching] An example of cache discouragement

Gale sonoralovesmommy at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 02:58:16 MST 2005

Artemis wrote: I have always wrote things like 'please tell me your opinion' when I

have an issue I need to discuss with the cache owner. now I am asking

you Gale, if your having an issue with cache listings, please let me

know what it is so I can assist.

Here is an example of what I mean. When we first started caching, we posted winter art walk, a virtual cache that had people walking through downtown Mesa when they put up a nice statue display to lure people to the area. It is a popular annual event. For the cache, you had to find out information at 6 or so different statues as listed by coordinates. Almost everyone who did this virtual cache enjoyed it. We were going to do it again this year, but since virtuals are barely allowed, we felt we had to make it a real cache at the end. Getting numbers off the statues to use as coordinates was not the problem. Sending people to a lame cache after that walk just didnt work for us. We couldnt make the end cache good. It was impossible for us to take pleasure in creating this cache given that the final cache couldnt compete with the walk itself. So we chose not to post this cache. This is what I mean by the website discouraging people from posting caches by their excessive regulations. This
 cache should have been just a virtual cache. This cache would have been fun for adults and kids. (Please go check out the art walk, there are many fine statues the kids will enjoy too.) In the end, the perception that no virtuals would be allowed stopped us.

I have many ideas for caches. About 20 or so. I considered a few weeks ago just offering the cache ideas to anyone who wanted to post a cache but didnt have any creative ideas themselves. Depending on how my next few cache placements go, that may still be an option.

Actually while I am thinking about it, I have a cache idea I need to run past you Artemis. I realize this is kind of a long shot, so please do not feel like you are on the spot.....I wanted to put a cache at Sphinx Date Ranch. I will need to ask the owner too, but wanted your opinion on it first. It will be outside their shop somewhere in their parking lot. It could be considered a commercial cache I suppose except for the history of that place. They are one of the last of the local places that grow dates. Some of their locally grown dates, the black sphinx date, used to be brought from their shop to the Phoenician Resort whenever the wife of the Saudi king would stay there (which was every year pre 9/11). They go around and hand pollinate various date trees in Phoenix area to grow their specialty dates. The medjools (really good btw, and they offer free tasting) are grown on the other side of Az-Cali border off I-8 someplace. One of these days I will try the Black Sphinx Date.
 Anyway, would this cache be acceptable?

Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes
  On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:
"Something hidden.  Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --
  "Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling ,   The Explorer  1898