[Az-Geocaching] Re: Power Trail not approved!

Scott Sparks scottsparks1 at mchsi.com
Thu Mar 3 13:18:37 MST 2005

Guy, any chance we could see the _full_ text of your exchange with the
admins?

As for the Power Trail in general, I like the concept but I don't like
the idea of it being on a trail in the Phoenix (or any other
metropolitan) Park System.   Those trails  get enough traffic already.
IMHO,  this type of thing should be set up away from the cities where
one can actually enjoy the trail and the natural setting without having
to listen to barking dogs, honking horns, overhhead jets and the
constant hum of city traffic.   How about a Power Trail in any of the
mountain or desert trail systems throughout the state? A Power Trail
ouside of Payson, Prescott, Flagstaff, or any other smaller city or town
in Arizona would be cool.  Even a Power trail on one of the trails
accessed along Highway 87 between Scottsdale and Payson.  Heck, even a
Power Trail in the Goldfield or Santan Mountains would be great.  How
about a Power Trail along Highway 88, 191 or any other scenic byway in
the state?

Concerning the multi-cache versus multiple individual caches issue, I
would, by far,  prefer to see multiple individual caches, each with
their own logbook.   As anyone who has maintained or hunted for a
multi-cache knows, it only takes one missing step of a multi-cache to
make the whole multi-cache worthless and un-findable.   This also
applies to multiple individual caches that are ''linked'' together; if
you must find cache A in order to find cache B, and cache B goes
missing, there's no way in heck you're ever going to find cache Z!

Perhaps (Guy) your mistake was in trying to ''sell'' the concept as a
''Power Trail.'' Maybe you would have been better off just placing the
caches individually (spaced .25 miles apart) and letting the ''Power
Trail'' concept just fall into place by default.   (Hmmm, this trail has
20 caches in a 10 mile stretch!?  I think I'll do that today. [:)])

On the other hand, perhaps your request was shot down for other
reasons.  (Without the full text of your communications with the admins,
we have no way of knowing.)   Maybe their issue is more of an individual
issue.  Maybe they have some qualms about you having another 20 caches
to maintain on top of the 50-60 you already have.   Maybe it's an issue
of cache concentration; maybe they feel there already enough caches in
that particular area.  Again, without further information specific to
their point of view, it's difficult to judge.

-- Sprocket