[Az-Geocaching] This is sad ~ I agree

Trisha Brasher trisha at brasher.com
Wed Jun 29 12:24:39 MST 2005

My head is spinning.

I did say "with NO lightning!"

Trisha

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: "Brian Casteel"
  To: listserv at azgeocaching.com
  Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] This is sad ~ I agree
  Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:01:49 -0600

Did you notice the irony of your last sentence?  Actually, there are 2
ironies here.  Everyone prayed for rain because of the drought.  The rain
came.  Now, the very rain that was prayed for to alleviate drought
conditions have spawned conditions for such a level of fire that the rain
is once again being prayed for to help stop or slow down the imminent
threat being faced all over the state.  The second irony is that the
lightning sparked that very fire from a storm that likely brought with it
some rain which did little good in this instance.  The circle of life at
it again. BrianTeam A.I.

  ----- Original Message ----- From: Trisha BrasherTo:
  listserv at azgeocaching.comSent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 11:34 AMSubject:
  Re: [Az-Geocaching] This is sad ~ I agree

  I agree!! I have seen a couple news articles on TV news about this
  particular very aged cactus....it is very sad to lose such a natural
  wonder.

  One wildlife expert they were interviewing said that this fire
  damaged area of the desert may never (NEVER) recover. Unlike the
  forest, which after a fire can and eventually over time re-grow
  (sometimes alot of time), he said this area of the Sonoran desert
  probably will not recover, in his opinion. He said it was because
  there was an African grass (non-native) that caused the fire to burn
  hotter and worse than it normally would have in a more barren desert,
  in which the succulents/cactus can survive a fire, but because of
  this growth of the non-native grass (more fuel ) the fire did too
  much damage. (I would guess that this varies some depending on the
  area and how much the fire burned vs. blowing thru)

  The concern for the fire reaching Strawberry/Pine (NE up the mountain
  terrain if it jumps the Verde) and Camp Verde (north along the Verde)
  may seem far-fetched, but it may not be if the hot weather and winds
  continue with no rain in sight. The fire has already travelled  ~13
  miles northward in several days, Camp Verde is another 20 miles, but
  if unchecked it could run wild that far. If it reaches Squaw Butte
  south of Childs and is still running fast, that is the trigger point
  for the evac of Strawberry/Pine. I saw on the news that the
  communities are already meeting for preliminary plans to evacuate (in
  which the Jeep Posse and other volunteers would be assisting the YSCO
  in Camp Verde....we've already been on standby for and responded
  to Black Canyon City when the fire first started, and the Sunset fire
  as well). Ranchers in the area of Bloody Basin/ east of Cordes
  Junction have had to be concerned about evac and moving their live
  stock. All of this was pretty accurately predicted by the experts
  (desert lowland fires) after the wet winter.

  Well, to make this "on topic" .... I don't know if there are many
  caches in this area that are now gone, but of course that is the
  least of worries for all the people affected by a fire of this size.
  Pray for rain ~ with NO lightning!

  Trisha ~ Lightning

  Prescott Vly