[Az-Geocaching] This is sad ~ I agree

Trisha Brasher trisha at brasher.com
Wed Jun 29 10:34:29 MST 2005

I agree!! I have seen a couple news articles on TV news about this
particular very aged cactus....it is very sad to lose such a natural
wonder.

One wildlife expert they were interviewing said that this fire damaged
area of the desert may never (NEVER) recover. Unlike the forest, which
after a fire can and eventually over time re-grow (sometimes alot of
time), he said this area of the Sonoran desert probably will not
recover, in his opinion. He said it was because there was an African
grass (non-native) that caused the fire to burn hotter and worse than it
normally would have in a more barren desert, in which the
succulents/cactus can survive a fire, but because of this growth of the
non-native grass (more fuel ) the fire did too much damage. (I would
guess that this varies some depending on the area and how much the fire
burned vs. blowing thru)

The concern for the fire reaching Strawberry/Pine (NE up the mountain
terrain if it jumps the Verde) and Camp Verde (north along the Verde) may
seem far-fetched, but it may not be if the hot weather and winds continue
with no rain in sight. The fire has already travelled  ~13 miles
northward in several days, Camp Verde is another 20 miles, but if
unchecked it could run wild that far. If it reaches Squaw Butte south of
Childs and is still running fast, that is the trigger point for the evac
of Strawberry/Pine. I saw on the news that the communities are already
meeting for preliminary plans to evacuate (in which the Jeep Posse and
other volunteers would be assisting the YSCO in Camp Verde....we've
already been on standby for and responded to Black Canyon City when the
fire first started, and the Sunset fire as well). Ranchers in the area of
Bloody Basin/ east of Cordes Junction have had to be concerned about evac
and moving their live stock. All of this was pretty accurately predicted
by the experts (desert lowland fires) after the wet winter.

Well, to make this "on topic" .... I don't know if there are many caches
in this area that are now gone, but of course that is the least of
worries for all the people affected by a fire of this size. Pray for rain
~ with NO lightning!

Trisha ~ Lightning

Prescott Vly