[Az-Geocaching] Prescott/Chino Valley Cachers (EspeciallyHamcachers)

Trisha Brasher trisha at brasher.com
Fri Jun 24 09:48:35 MST 2005

>From my experience in SAR and mapping the back roads of Yavapai county
(we call them "Field Patrols"....checking the maps by actually going on
the sometimes alleged roads and seeing what is really there or NOT
there....and updating our map system) you can't always count on the roads
on a topo. This is not to say that the roads DO exist and are passable in
this case, on the west approach to this location near Chino.

I have several interesting stories about finding roads that are on the
map but are not real, in lovely places like the Copperopolis topo (for
those unfamilar, that is south of Wagoner Rd and north of Castle Hot
Springs SW of Prescott, and literally the middle of nowhere.) After
having trouble with the fuel pump, my driver looked at me and said "Get
(the other team) on the radio and direct them to us to tow us out, and
plot the shortest route to pavement." It was 9 miles to pavement, with
one Jeep towing the other for part of it. It was a long day, in which I
used my map and trusty Garmin 12 to get us out. I love this stuff.

I'd say that if the directions you were given have you coming from the
east, thru Chino Valley, go with that route. It's likely to be accurate.
Of course, exploration and adventure is always fun if time is not of the
essence.

You can still come into Prescott the way I recommended (Iron Springs Rd)
and then go north to Chino thru several routes thru or around Prescott.
If you need directions (to get to north SR 89) let me know.

Have fun at the Field Day! I've done a few, they are fun!

Trisha