[Az-Geocaching] PAGING DR. SCOTTI.......

Gale sonoralovesmommy at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 17 01:09:43 MST 2005

I saw a fireball once many years ago (early 70s). I never forgot it. Amazing thing to see.

Jim Scotti <jscotti at pirl.lpl.Arizona.EDU> wrote:Hi Trisha,
Was it moving relatively fast or relatively slowly? If it lasted a few
seconds, it was probably a meteor and was likely 50 to 100 kilometers above
the ground while you watched it enter. The brightness and glare tend to make
such objects look much larger and much closer than they really are. How
bright was it - say compared to the full moon or Venus? It's great when you
see color in meteors. If it was really bright, it might have resulted in a
meteorite landing on the ground, but most likely, it burned up high above the
ground. If the object moved fairly slowly across the sky, then it is likely
a re-entering satellite which might take a minute to slowly travel the entire
width of the sky as it descends and burns up. You can usually see satellites
break up into lots of pieces as they slowly go across the sky - very much
like the Columbia did as it broke up. A meteor is moving much faster and
doesn't last nearly as long, so it's relatively easy to tell them apart.
I've had the pleasure of seeing several really bright fireballs in the
sky and it's always really fun to watch them and think of what is causing
them. Most meteors you see in the sky are just little dust particles are
maybe small pebble sized things. The brightest things most people see in
their lifetimes might be small boulders, maybe basketball sized or at most
Volkswagen sized. If you're really lucky, you might see a house sized object
enter and if you are really _unlucky_, you might be under a skyscraper or
football field sized object that explodes straight over your head (luckily,
those don't happen too often!) like the Tunguska fireball over Siberia in
1908.
We're coming up on the best meteor season starting at about the begining
of July and lasting through mid August, so get your lawn chairs out and turn
the lights out and enjoy!

Jim.

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Trisha Brasher wrote:

> (Sorry folks for the off-topic post, but hey, I gotta ask the
> expert....)
>
> Hey Jim,
>
> We just saw something in the sky drop towards the ground, low. We
> were facing (driving) north of Prescott Valley, approx 2058hrs, and
> this green-light object looked BIG. It could have been a
> meteorite...hopefully not a man-made object dropping out of the
> sky.....if it was in northern AZ, it was big 'nuff. We have quite a
> bit of visibility that direction, so if it was farther away, it was
> HUGE.
>
> Anything we need to know???
>
> Trisha ~ Lightning

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721 USA http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~jscotti/

Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes
  On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:
"Something hidden.  Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --
  "Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling ,   The Explorer  1898