[Az-Geocaching] Is this for real?

Jim Scotti jscotti at pirl.lpl.Arizona.EDU
Sat Jun 11 00:50:15 MST 2005

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, Rand Hardin wrote:

> So it's all about you Jim?  It's about what "you" want?  I personally don't
> care what anyone writes about on this site...if I don't want to read it...I
> DELETE it!  Maybe you'd like it if we started a thread about meteors for
> you.  I remember several times you starting discussions about your passion
> on this site (many of which I found interesting!).

I didn't mind the first few messages, but when 28K long messages started
showing up in my inbox on a regular basis long after the initial discussion
was over, it was starting to get rediculous, especially when there was no
reference to geocaching therein.  And since when can we not express our
opinions?  Sheesh Rand, one message against some nonsense and I'm the bad
guy..... Soooorrry.

> And for those of you who added your "ME TOO!"  Remember this the next time
> you find something hilarious, or of interest! that you want to share with
> others on this site.  As an example...not all of us are interested in long
> threads about trucks or jeeps!

A few short posts are one thing.  Continued lengthy off topic posts are
another entirely.  Posting the URL to the off topic site is far better than
filling up mailboxes as was done.

> Lighten up folks.  There's times on this site when the discussion of
> "geocaching" is so dead that we've complained that we thought the site
> wasn't up and running!  I have no problem with the various discussions that
> are brought up on this site. It keeps things interesting...and gives us a
> window into the variety of personalities of the members on this site.

You should lighten up too Rand.  I never said anything about the initial
posts other than expressing my opinion about its content - it's the ongoing
lengthy off topic posts I expressed my negative opinion of lately.  And
obviously I'm not alone in being tired of seeing them on this list.

Jim.

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory
University of Arizona