[Az-Geocaching] Is this for real?

Jim Scotti jscotti at pirl.lpl.Arizona.EDU
Sun Jun 5 19:00:31 MST 2005

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005, Scott Wood wrote:

> It is actually interesting that you bring the religious side up.  The reason
> being is that it seems that more and more lately that the UFO folks have been
> weaving the whole UFO thing into religion.  Some claim that the UFOs are
> angles, others that they are demons.

Hmmm, funny, I see most UFO believers as being religious about their beliefs
in the UFOs being driven by alien life.  A skeptic suggests that they might
just be ordinary things and their faith sets in and starts to argue.  I
believe in UFOs and I also believe in life on other planets, I just don't
think one is the other by default.  I've never seen a UFO that I didn't
eventually identify and I've seen several things that other folks called a
UFO (including the so-called "Phoenix Lights" the first half of which really
were military flares over the Goldwater range - I've seen them before and
since and saw them that very night from Kitt Peak).  The closest I've come to
a having to claim a UFO was the one sighting that had me going until I saw
the same thing the next night and recognized what they were.

Making the leap that that (to you) unidentified light you saw in the sky is
being piloted by a being from another planet is just not a logical
conclusion.

Jim.

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory