[Az-Geocaching] Seven Springs road open?

Team Tierra Buena teamtierrabuena at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 16 06:18:27 MST 2005

> has anyone heard if the road up to seven springs and beyond is open?
> need to get up that way to check on my cache.

The last update to the fire information web page
(http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/tonto/fire/cavecreekcomplex.shtml) was Thursday
morning. From that page:

"The entire Cave Creek Ranger District is closed except for Bartlett Lake
area and the Mazatzal Wilderness area. The Agua Fria National Monument is
also closed for public safety."

That would include FR 24 (Seven Springs Rd.).

We have a cache up there as well, so we'll be heading up as soon as
practicable after the roads reopen. Last year's fire came within ten feet of
our cache, but we got lucky. Given that there wasn't much fuel left in the
vicinity of our cache it probably escaped again this year. But I'd sacrifice
that ammo can in a minute to undo any of this year's damage.

Here's a summary, also from that page:

Quick Facts:
Definition of "complex" fire: A "complex" fire is two or more fires in the
same area assigned to a single commander or unified command.

Total Acres:				248,310
Start Date: 				June 21, 2005; 4:45 p.m.
Cause: 					Lightning
Location: 				5 miles NE of Carefree, AZ and 20
miles SW of Pine/Strawberry
Containment:				100%
Expected Full Containment: 	Full containment reached
Threatened Resources: 		High voltage power lines.
Fuels: 					Oak & Chaparral brush & grass
Terrain:					Step topography, extremely
flashy fuels, & poor access.
Cost: 					$16,471,000
Total Personnel: 			580
Crews: 					10 crews
Equipment: 				10 engines; 3 bulldozers
Air Support: 				Helicopters: 8
Damage: 					11 residences, 3 out
buildings in Camp Creek

For those into such things, the Tonto NF website now has a WAP version for
web-enabled PDAs and cellphones, and also has an XML/RSS news feed.

Steve
Team Tierra Buena