[Az-Geocaching] Please consider the container you hide

Team Tierra Buena teamtierrabuena at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 12 18:15:45 MST 2005

> Then we can't hide caches on city property.

I'm not sure how you reach that conclusion. Hiding caches on the perimeter
of a jail yard defies the common sense God gave a Gambel quail, not to
mention the law. (But while we're on the subject, Sheriff Joe's Guantanamo
is county, not city property.)

But you made the statement about city property. Here is an excerpt from
Phoenix's policy:

"Pursuant to PCC 24-36, Entering park areas closed to public se, and PCC
24-37, Vandalism in a park, Geocaching at archaeological sites located on
City of Phoenix property is not allowed. Violation of these ordinances is a
Class 1 misdemeanor. Any geocaches that are found at archaeological sites
will be immediately removed."

Now, I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV, but it's pretty clear to
me that caching at archaeological sites is prohibited in city parks, but not
anywhere else within the parks. They do, like many other land managers,
insist that caches be placed on or near trails, but by saying that they're
certainly saying caches are allowed in Phoenix parks. The city is
co-sponsoring National Public Lands Day, and they have welcomed our
participation.

As for other types of city property, would you want to be placing or seeking
caches around City Hall, the airport, the water treatment facility, or
anyplace else where security is a concern?

We placed a cache on another type of City of Phoenix property. We placed it
without permission, but that was over three years ago, and Geocaching was
different then. Suffice to say that city employees responsible for the
property know about the cache today, and they are fine with its being where
it is.

So there are plenty of places to cache in most if not all municipalities in
Arizona. I'm not aware of any town that's banned all Geocaching here. I
haven't paid a lot of attention to it, but apparently there is a bill before
the legislature in South Carolina that if passed could outlaw Geocaching in
the entire STATE. It hasn't yet become law, though.

Steve
Team Tierra Buena