[Az-Geocaching] re: federal lands

Team Tierra Buena teamtierrabuena at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 11 18:43:30 MST 2005

> Thanks this sheds new light on things, where did I miss the details in the
website?

> anyway the info is appreciated, to follow up where do national monuments
fit in to this picture, are they subbed under parks or forests, or
wilderness

> regardless.   Thanks again, Raymond

Count on the Feds to make it difficult. Most National Monuments are National
Park Service, and thus, off-limits. But some (the Sonoran Desert National
Monument is one notable Arizona example) are managed by the Bureau of Land
Management (BLM). BLM land in general is open to caching.

On top of the Wilderness Area restrictions that Andy mentioned, you should
also be aware that it is a violation of federal law to do anything that
threatens or brings harm to an archaeological site. This really gets tricky,
as federal law also prohibits publishing the locations of such
archaeological sites. So if you were thinking of hiding a cache near your
favorite petroglyph gallery, consider alternatives. It's also a good reason
to talk over your plans to hide a cache with a ranger at the site, even when
caching is generally permitted. They'll be able to steer you away from
trouble spots.

You'll find some more information here:
http://www.geocachingpolicy.info/usa.html. But as to determining who is
responsible for a particular patch of dirt, you'll have to do the research.
If you're anywhere near downtown Phoenix, a great resource is the Public
Lands Information Center (http://www.publiclands.org/) which is on Central
Avenue just south of Van Buren. It's run by BLM, but they're up on all of
the complexities of public land management in Arizona.

Steve

Team Tierra Buena