[Az-Geocaching] Never MInd!

Jim Scotti jscotti at pirl.lpl.Arizona.EDU
Wed Jul 6 13:54:29 MST 2005

Hi Trisha,
     Some of us have to sleep in the daytime after staying up all night
observing, so I didn't get your message until now....  Here's the scoop on
Mars and its "oppositions".  Opposition for any object orbiting the sun as
viewed from Earth happens when the Earth, the sun, and the object (asteroid,
planet, comet, etc) are lined up with the object farther from the sun than
Earth (the inner planets do not reach opposition).  When this happens,
several things of interest happen.  First, the object is as close as it can
be in that time period (more on that in a bit - it might get closer at other
times...).  Closer means brighter, and closest usually means brightest.
Another affect happens that makes an object near opposition even brighter and
that is the so-called "opposition affect."  An object exactly opposite the
sun scatters light straight back towards the sun more efficiently than in
other directions.  You can see this affect from airplanes or when the sun is
low - you will see a bright halo around your shadow - around the planes
shadow if you are sitting at a window where you can see the shadow or around
your head if the sun is low and you're not on a plane.  I've seen this best
on a golf course early in the morning when there is dew on the grass.  So
asteroids, planets, the Moon, etc., will be that much brighter.  Also, the
object will be full (like the full moon) rather than gibbous or quarter or
crescent - that makes a big difference for objects close to Earth, but almost
no difference for the distant planets, since they are almost always very
close to full regardless of where they are in their orbits.
     Ok, I've probably lost a few of you.  I'll try to loose a few more of you
in the next paragraph.... ;-)  I'm trying really hard to think of a way to
bring geocaching into this, but I haven't thought of a good way yet....
     Back to Mars (well, I'd like to go there someday anyway...).  The orbits
of the planets are all nearly circular, but they are very slightly elliptical
which means that they change their distance to the sun as they orbit the sun.
Earth's orbit is slightly elongated as well and at the moment we are actually
pretty close to our most distant from the sun (the seasons are dominated by
the tilt of the rotation axis with distance from the sun falling a very
distant 2nd).  Mars orbits the Sun every 1.88 years and comes back into
alignment with Earth every 2.14 years, approximately (this is called the
synodic period and does not equal Mars' orbital period because the Earth
orbits as well).  The closest Mars and Earth could get to each other would
happen if Mars came to opposition when the Earth was farthest from the Sun
while Mars was closest to the Sun.  This doesn't quite happen, but it is not
far off.  The closest the two orbits get to each other happen in the
direction that Earth is at the end of August when the two orbits are about
34.4 million miles apart.  So, when Mars comes to opposition at the end of
August, it will be as close as it can come and Mars will appear at its
largest.  When it comes to opposition at the end of February, its opposition
distance will be as large as it can be (around 65 million miles) and Mars
will appear smallest at opposition (it can appear even smaller when observed
away from opposition).  The opposition you discovered happened on about
August 27, 2003 and it was VERY spectacular.  I got to look at Mars through
the 90 inch telescope on Kitt Peak at about that time and Mars was very very
big and bright.  I don't expect to see Mars with my own eyes any better
unless I'm about to drop into orbit around Mars itself.  This year, Mars will
be at opposition on about October 29 when it will be about 43 million miles
from Earth and will appear about 20 arcseconds across (the Moon is about 1800
arcseconds across for comparison) - not too bad as Mars oppositions go, but
not quite what it was in 2003.  You can already see it in the morning sky -
it's a bright red object all by itself about halfway up in the East before
twilight starts.

Jim.