[Az-Geocaching] Mars will look as big as the full moon?? JIM SCOTTI, help!

Trisha Brasher trisha at brasher.com
Wed Jul 6 09:23:55 MST 2005

Hey Jim (and everyone on the list)

This email is circulating like an e-rumor. The part that caught my eye is highlighted below:

 Subject: Fwd: mars is coming close=20

   MARS SPECTACULAR!
The Red Planet is about to be spectacular!
This month and next, Earth is  catching up with Mars in an encounter
that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets
in recorded history. The next time Mars  may come this close is in
2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on  Mars and perturbs its
orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this
close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years and it will be as long as
60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within
34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the
brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9
and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power
magnification  Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked
eye. Mars will be  easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will
rise in the east at 10p.m.  and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.  By
the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at
  nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m.
That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has
seen in recorded  history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of
August to see Mars grow  progressively brighter and brighter
throughout the month.

  Share this with your children and grandchildren.
NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL
  EVER SEE THIS AGAIN

"My life is just a pencil in the hand of God,
and it is He who is writing my story." ~ Mother Teresa