[Az-Geocaching] Merry Christmas Caching presents

Bob Renner renner001 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 26 20:09:01 MST 2005

I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.  I recently bought an
iQue 3600.  It's a full Palm based PDA with a GPS
receiver built in.  I added a 1Gig SD memory card.
With that I can store about 1/2 of the North America
City Select street maps.  Whe the 2 Gig SD cards come
down in price I'll be able to fit all of the NA City
Select.

I also have a program called CacheMate.  I have all
active caches in AZ stored as well (about 3900).  This
is along with the description of the cache and the
recent logs.  I can have CacheMate search for caches
near my location (or some other location), and then
convert it into a waypoint on the maps (3800 active
waypoints slows down the mapping too much so I don't
have them all active as waypoints all the time).
CacheMate will also allow me to make notes for my log
on a cache and then HotSync it to my desktop when I
get home.

I also have a jpeg viewer so I can download any
pictures from the cache page and view them while
looking for the cache.  I recently captured a jpeg of
a topo map from National Geographic TOPO! and loaded
that for viewing while looking for the cache.
Unfortunately, it wont display my location on the
topo.

I originally got the iQue for use in the car.  It will
calculate a route and then give me voice prompts while
driving.  The color screen is larger than most other
GPS units and even some of the Street Pilots.  Plus,
it has a built in MP3 player so I can listen to music
while caching or on a road trip.

The mail drawback is the battery life.  With the
screen on max backlight and the GPS on, it only lasts
a couple hours.  Turn off the backlight and it lasts
longer.

I still use my eTrex Legend for caches which require
hiking since it is more rugged and the battery lasts
longer.  However, for in town caches, the iQue
basically does everything and makes for completely
paperless caching.

Bob Renner