[Az-Geocaching] A different Wow

Brian Casteel bcasteel at uccinc.net
Tue Aug 23 07:49:48 MST 2005

Same here.  I met Evilfish at a cache in a residential park stuck inside the
BBQ grill, and it wasn't a chilly day outside.  We met up again later that
day for some afternoon caching at Silly Mountain.  There was a cache in
Bulldog Canyon that I went out for a FTF on, and while walking back from
another one at the top of the nearby mountain, I heard some scratching
around in some nearby bushes in the vicinity of the cache, and I hear RTW
yell "nooooooooooooo!" having seen my name on the logsheet first.  I met up
with him, and we talked about how he saw my truck in the parking lot
already, and sprinted to the cache hoping I was meandering along and that
he'd beat me there.  AZcachemeister's bus stop caches (the very pricey bus
stops built along non-existant routes) that I would run out the door at
12:30am looking for a FTF on.  Once I got to the point of having 3 or 4 FTFs
in a row on those, I wanted to see if I could bat 1.000 on the entire
series, which I did.  As goofy as those caches were, I got a kick out of the
whole concept, and the FTFs just added to the fun of it.  There are so many
things I've gotten out of caching over the years (4 years today!), that as
my interests evolve, so will my caching and what I choose to do in order to
maximize my enjoyment of it.

I'll cache to my own beat.  Some days the tempo will be up and I'll go for a
numbers day.  Some days it will be slower, and I'll hike 15 miles for ONE
cache.  It's all in what you make of it I've learned.  Worry so much about
how others are involved in things (shared/co-ftf, for example), and it
ultimately detracts from the enjoyment of the activity for that person.
Jeff and I have had our differences over the years, but hey.make your way up
to my stomping grounds and we'll hop in the Jeep for a trip up to the Ice
Caves and grab a few caches along the way.  I also hear that the Beartooth
Highway repairs will be completed by the target of Oct 15th, with *just*
enough time to get up there and enjoy the views before snow buries the
highway for the next 5 months.  The last time I was up there, I came across
some Grizzly tracks (mom/2 cubs), which was a treat in and of itself.
Thankfully, I didn't see the bears themselves, because I left the RPG in my
other pants that day.

Brian
Team A.I.

  _____