[Az-Geocaching] Singing praises to REI

Steven Stringham sstringh at stringham-family.org
Mon Aug 1 20:05:13 MST 2005

I just was at REI with my Etrex Vista. What was once broken is now whole.

Last year (May 2004), I took my Venture (green) (My original GPS -
Christmas present) etrex on vacation to St Louis, and area. As I was
getting out of the car at the St. Louis Arch (looking for a cache,
naturally),  the GPS dropped out of my hand as I shut the door. It was
broken. So, we found the nearest REI and bought (to my wife's budgeting
sorrow) a Vista etrex. At the same time I bought for $15 a membership to
REI, and got a 20% discount (lets see - $15 for a $60 discount - ok,
I'll take it).

I shipped my Venture back to Garmin, and they fixed it under warranty.
Then, May 2005, the Vista stopped working with the joystick, and kept
turning itself off. I called garmin, who said it was out of warranty. It
had been shipped Dec 2003. REI was able to fax me a copy of my purchase
receipt. It was repaired by Garmin in warranty.

July, 2005. Out in Wickenburg with AZJedi on a cache hunt. Last couple
of planned caches for the day (it was hot), and I slipped going down a
hill. On my back (my backpack with camelback broke my fall), and my
Vista GPS goes flying. Into the rocks, and the screen is toast. Rats,
that one is gone. I figured that Garmin would repair it for about $100.
I was waiting for the budget to clear to let me do it. So, back to the
Venture for now. (It is nice to have two)

Saturday, I was at REI begging for sponsorship for the Halloween event
(prizes for you all!). I stopped by the GPS counter. I  mentioned my
vista problem to the clerk. He asked if I was a member. "Yes", I said.
"Bring it back, and we will replace it for free", he said. Stunned, I
was amazed.

Today, I took this Vista back, screen obviously busted. I also brought
the receipt that I had been faxed. Guess what. They gave me a new Vista,
brand new, in the box. No hassle, no fuss. Just, here you go. They also
said, if I wanted to upgrade to a newer model, just bring it back, and
trade up for the difference. What? I have never heard of that.

They may be a bit more expensive, but they have earned my gratitude.

Anybody else had this experience with anybody? Wow! I am dancing. I have
my vista back (Yes, I know it is not a 60cs. Oh well).

Steven Stringham
StringCachers