[Az-Geocaching] Surfing while Caching

Brian Casteel bcasteel at uccinc.net
Fri Apr 15 18:43:16 MST 2005

We like to call that 'wardriving'.  :)

Brian
Team A.I.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mark
  To: az-geocaching at listserv.azgeocaching.com
  Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 6:46 PM
  Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Surfing while Caching

  Last weekend we loaded up the car and took off to find a few caches. We had all the necessary tools; GPSr, PDA with cachemate, water, sandwiches, oh, and the laptop with verizon broadband wireless (just incase the wife wanted to chat with the kids in Tampa or family in Denver). The laptop was really along to allow us to search Geocaching.com. We got tired of printing out the sheets and I hadn't learned to use cachemate very well at this point.

  What I found was that many places where we stopped to look for a cache there was an unsecure wireless network within range of the 802.11 wireless connection built into the laptop. We didn't really need the verizon connection to surf the web. We connected through these unsecured access points and did what we needed, and then moved on. I figured I would pass this little tidbit on for any of you who needed to improve your caching capabilities.

  Mark
  ToFer Magoo