[Az-Geocaching] Bronco One

Paul Hruby xqsxqs at qwest.net
Wed Nov 17 16:55:44 MST 2004

I just joined the list since a fellow geo-cacher noticed a thread regarding
Bronco One.

I had a similar experience - I was trying to purchase a Garmin 76CS? last
summer and looked at all the different web sites and was actually bidding on
units on E-Bay, but the prices were around 325.00.  Then a friend told me
about Bronco One.  I always took my CB problems there and had no problems so
I thought I'd stop by.

Although Bronco One had the 76CS priced about the same as what was going on
Ebay and a little cheaper then the Internet stores, I was steered to and did
purchase a Garmin EMap.  I had a 64MB memory card installed and was out the
door spending just a little less.   Although the unit was new, I realized
that when I got it home, it was made in 97 (1st 2 digits of the s/n).  So I
went to Garmin's site (should have done that first, but being a newbee -
live and learn) and noticed the unit was discontinued.

Now for what's it's worth, I really like the Emap.  It's small enough,
doesn't use much power and I have a lot of street information loaded - Most
of Arizona, part of Nevada and southern California.  The only thing that I
don't like is that the unit isn't really water resistant.

I did notice that Bronco One charged a little under retail for the
accessories, so I went to Ebay and bought a magnetic antenna and car adapter
for 1/4 the price at Bronco One.  The antenna is awesome.  I went from 3 or
4 sats at 30-50% out of 12 sats while in the car to 8 sats at 100% - all for
less then $25.00.

All in all, I really like the EMap.

BTW, the owner of Bronco One supposedly closed shop, sold all his land
investments for 35 million and moved to France.  Now that could have been a
bunch of @!@#%@!! for all I know.  He may have sold the store to someone
else because I drove by there a week ago and although the fence was closed,
people were still buying propane.
Sonic Warthog

---