[Az-Geocaching] Box game brings out bomb squad

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:21:24 -0800

>From: "Brian - Team A.I." <teamai@cox.net>
>To: <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
>Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Box game brings out bomb squad
>Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:40:47 -0700
>
>I posted this on the gc.com forums in a thread about a similar situation in
>which a Disneyland cache (micro) was discovered just before an attraction
>reopened, resulting in a delay while it was investigated:
>
>...society has been conditioned to a state of hypervigilant paranoia,
>resulting in stupid scenarios like ammo cans being blown up under a rock
>pile. It wouldn't matter if the ammo can was clear plexiglass, with nothing
>more than a fully translucent logbook that made it clear the object being
>looked at is nothing more than an object, and not an explosive device.
>Someone would still freak out over it, and thousands of dollars would be
>wasted. Heck, there could be a blanket understanding/approval by law
>enforcement for a specific type of cache container that we were allowed to
>use, and yet someone would still call and we'd find TBs blown sky high by
>disruptors.
>
>Maybe it's just me, but I don't take everything I see as a
>surgically-altered Osama, and freak out >everytime I see someone breathe.

maybe we should have something similar to the stupid motorist law... when
someone freaks out and calls out the feds to check on a potential bomb or
something... and it turns out to be a geocache or something.. then that
person pays the bill!

Scott
Team Ropingthewind