[Az-Geocaching] Box game brings out bomb squad

Brian - Team A.I. listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:40:47 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0034_01C413F0.58A19600

I posted this on the gc.com forums in a thread about a similar situation =
in which a Disneyland cache (micro) was discovered just before an =
attraction reopened, resulting in a delay while it was investigated:

...society has been conditioned to a state of hypervigilant paranoia, =
resulting in stupid scenarios like ammo cans being blown up under a rock =
pile. It wouldn't matter if the ammo can was clear plexiglass, with =
nothing more than a fully translucent logbook that made it clear the =
object being looked at is nothing more than an object, and not an =
explosive device. Someone would still freak out over it, and thousands =
of dollars would be wasted. Heck, there could be a blanket =
understanding/approval by law enforcement for a specific type of cache =
container that we were allowed to use, and yet someone would still call =
and we'd find TBs blown sky high by disruptors.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't take everything I see as a =
surgically-altered Osama, and freak out everytime I see someone breathe.

But following that officer's logic, hikers are candidates for the Bataan =
Death March, mountain bikers are Hells Angels and rock climbers are =
suicidal...well, that may actually be the case but still.  ;)

I understand that bombs and explosives are real.  In seconds, I could =
have a recipe for ammonia, nitrogen or hydrogen tri-iodide, by doing a =
simple Google search.  But the mere presence of that information doesn't =
mean it exists or that authorities need to be called to investigate.  =
That being said, a box, ammo can or Rubbermaid container stashed under a =
bush isn't always cause to just go off the deep end and call out so many =
resources.  In all honesty, most of them stand around waiting for =
something to happen while a select few do the real grunt work.

In my position, I have seen liberties disrupted.  Whenever the Terror =
Alert Wheel O' Color stops on Orange, operations at work are quite =
overtly affected.  Should we ever go to Red, I'll be walking into a =
heavily armed prison when I get to work each day.  But in everyday life, =
I can't say that the changes have been so clear.  It's my sheer =
disagreement with the removal of our civil liberties in the name of =
protecting us from a faceless enemy that is the issue.  As with =
something such as gun control, the only people affected are the ones =
with the right to have them.  There are enough enemies of the United =
States that we could make up quite a few people from every conceivable =
nationailty, race,  or color.  Some would be the model of what the Aryan =
Nation hope to make this world, while others would be model Black =
Panther recruits.  Still, we would have at least some who prefer sushi =
over pizza and the Qu'ran to the KJV Bible. =20

I don't think that we should just sit back, drink beer and become =
complacent to the goings on in this world, but too little is being done =
to protect the country from the outside, at our expense.  A porous =
Mexican border has been used to smuggle al Qaida members into the =
country (I've read the intelligence to confirm this), and still lacking =
security measures at international ports of entry have allowed even more =
to get through.  Just 2 nights ago, I received calls about a semi =
carrying UDAs.  Keep in mind that this was a double trailer semi with =
people stacked shoulder-to-shoulder.  Conceivably, there could have been =
upwards of 500 people between them.  Who is to say that 3 or 4 of them =
weren't radical fundamentalists from a group who disagrees with what the =
US is, and want to drive a bomb-laden car into a major metropolitan =
mall?

<Conspiracy Theory Moment>
Not too long ago, I heard rumblings that the Joint Chiefs 10+ years ago =
contemplated allowing a terrorist attack on US soil, with the hopes that =
it would soften the public opinion on increased military spending.  =
This, if I recall correctly, wasn't too long before the first WTC =
bombing, which would have been considered only marginally successful by =
measuring public opinion.  Oklahoma City was another significant blow, =
but apparently not enough.  It wasn't until the Twin Towers finally fell =
that everybody was gung-ho military, chanting "kill 'em all" in response =
to the atrocity, and demanding that we carpet bomb someone, something, =
somewhere.  Since a good conspiracy is an unprovable one...I do find it =
odd, however, that several years before 9/11, a foreign leader =
(Pakistan, I think) offered up Osama to the US, who flatly refused.  =
Oops.
</Conspiracy Theory Moment>

Now I don't spend every waking moment looking over my shoulder, but I'm =
aware of what goes on around me.  The day I start putting surveillance =
cameras around my home to start watching anyone of 'arab' descent, or =
that just looks mean, is the day I drive off a cliff and fuggedaboutit, =
because I've already gone over the edge.  There's too much paranoia, and =
not enough protection in the right places.

Brian
Team A.I.

----- Original Message -----=20