[Az-Geocaching] The same.....yeah.

Atherton, Bill (AZ15) listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:01:49 -0700

Just to add my views to this string.  There are few rules that caches must
follow but outside of those anything should be OK.  We only need do the ones
we enjoy and we all have different capabilities and desires for searching.
Some want the physical challenge and others cannot pursue those requiring
long or climbing hikes.  Others enjoy a game or puzzle but some do not.

I enjoy a good hike but when taking my grand children out, another park with
one under a bench is fine.  I do prefer a cache that takes you to a place
you would want to go to anyway.

I started easy with my first hide and try to add more variety and challenge
as I learn.  My guidelines are to never place a hide where I will not return
to maintain, try to do each hide differently, and locate them where someone
would enjoy being at.
Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Stringham [mailto:sstringh@stringham-family.org]
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 8:13 AM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Cc: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] The same.....yeah.

OK, I have been watching this thread with real interest. And I am really
surprised at the turn of the thread. It would seem that some the top
cachers (finders) look with disdain at those who are the top cachers
(hiders).

Trisha is right in that without hiders, the finders would have nothing to
find. If the goal is to get on top, these hides make a real difference.
And, no, they don't need to be under every light pole. Hiders like
GRaldrich, as painful as some of his are to find, and Trisha, and Tamo,
etc. seem to know how to hide caches well without putting them under every
light pole. And without them, how can finder like Sprocket1980 do a 70+
run in a single 24 hours?

At, the same time, we don't want them in bad places, and it is nice to
have quality hides. So, the idea is not to run up the numbers on the
hides.

But, those with a high count of finds should know something about quality
hides. And should give back to the hiding community that has given so much
to them.

I love this sport/game/hobby (call it what you will). I don't have a
record anywhere near some in the top 10. But, I have done a couple of OK
hides. OK, they aren't like a Tamo's class, or some of the other cool
hides like those. And, I plan to place more.

But, what some of the Top Finders have done here, as I see it, is just
chase some of the really good hiders away from the game. I am really
saddened by these last two messages.

It is a two way street folks. You give (like in the caches) and take (like
in the caches). And, no, quality hides don't have to be on mountain tops.
Nor do they even have to be containers (virtuals). One of my most
enjoyable hides yet has been a virtual. But, logs like LazyKs on my Acme
Fountains the other day give me a rush as well. RTW said that he enjoys
the stories in the logs. So do I. Do we all need to do a better job in
story telling on our logs? Or, at least log? (as some teams seem not to).
For the hiders, the joy seems to be reading the experiences of those that
found their caches.

Trisha, Ken, don't give up. And thanks for your caches. I have done a few
of Trishas, and would like to do more. I just haven't had a opportunity.

Steven Stringham
StringCachers