[Az-Geocaching] The same.....yeah.

Trisha listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:13:46 -0700 (MST)

Wow......

...blah, blah, blah.......

quote: >>>"I dont dissagree with you that those who find more caches
should do their part to hide more. But, I simply do not think it is
realistic."<<<

that was one very long and well-thought out excuse! Good job!

Sure, I bring up this issue every few months....(and it is ON-topic!)
and I believe a valid point. :-) Amazing! And it's still even a free
country! We have the freedom to agree, to disagree, or to even agree
to disagree.

So, I disagree with you, Scott. I do think it is realistic for those
who are very active in geocaching to hide a few more caches here and
there, obviously. You, however, think it is not realistic FOR YOU.
That's fine, we disagree. But, it simply is not that hard to hide
caches and they don't have to be "trashy" micros, either. Guess it
just gets back to to the giver/taker analogy.

Tell ya what, Scott, I'll make a deal with ya. I won't bring this up
again as it relates to you, if you PROMISE to not say one more word
about how you are "getting ready to put out my (fill in the
number...in this case, 2nd) cache" until it actually is in the field
and has a cache page! (Last time, we heard about your first cache for
what, months? before you finally put it out.) OK? Deal?

Oh, wait...one more thing to clarify....

YOU SAID:
quote >>>>>"Your thinking that the top teams wouldnt have so many
finds if it wasnt for those that hide large numbers <<(you mis-quoted
me here, Scott, I never said 'large number of hides')>> of caches is
totally not accurate... the same teams would still be on top of the
rankings... we would just have less cache finds. It's all relative
really. It wouldnt have mattered if I hit #1 with 300 finds or 1100
finds... just that I made my goal of getting to the top.
Whether the top 4 teams have over 1000 AZ finds or a mere 300+ finds,
the same 4 teams would still be sitting on top."<<<<<

Scott, you missed my point. I was speaking in more absolute terms, not
relative. So, hypothetically, if it wern't for the cache HIDERS, all
teams would have EXACTLY ZERO finds (and there would be NO such thing
as geocaching!)

So....hope you have a nice day, and I hope you try to make it to
Prescott sometime, maybe this summer. You're missing out on some great
quality caches! Maybe you can park your balloon at Mountain Valley
Park (centrally located in Prescott Valley, and would be fun to see!)

Trisha
Prescott

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 12:39:07 -0800, "RopingThe Wind" wrote:

> [...]
> every
> couple of months!
>
> No I havent done any of your caches yet Trisha, I havent yet done
any
> caching in Prescott. I dont dissagree with you that those who find
> more
> caches should do their part to hide more. But, I simply do not think
> it is
> realistic. Simply put, there are those that prefer to hide caches and
> there
> are those that prefer to find. There are some cachers out there with
> several
> hides and not a single find. For them, the joy is hiding a cache and
> waiting
> to read the logs. Should they not be able to hide a cache because
they
> havent found one yet? Those who particularly enjoy hiding caches,
tend
> make really quality caches. I think as far as those teams on the top
> of the
> rankings go, they are competitive and into the 'numbers' game.
> Obviously, we
> find alot more than we hide. Theoretically, if everyone jumped on my
> case
> about not hiding any caches... here is what would happen... (I am
sure
> this
> would be the case with the other top teams as well)...
>
> there would be a whole bunch of urban micros placed within no more
> than 2
> miles of my house. Simple altoid containers placed under light poles
> or park
> benches.This way, they are close to my house and I could check on
them
> easily whenever there is a problem with them. Then, after two weeks
> when
> there are a bunch of no find logs (because the cache was stolen) I
> would
> just archive it since I wouldnt want to worry about it coming up
> missing
> again. This is basically the case with many urban caches these days.
> Galdrich, on the other hand, has a knack at camo'ing a micro cache.
> His
> caches seem to stand the test of time. But, many urban micros do not.
>
> Take last summer. I was gone for 3 month.. 3 whole months... I come
> home to
> find a couple dozen caches that were placed and archived before I
even
> got
> home!!! They were all urban caches, of course. There are many really
> nice
> urban caches hides out there that last a long time, but there are
also
> many
> that do not.
>
> I particularly enjoy hiking and climbing to the tops of mountains.
So,
> therefore, that is how I choose to hide my caches. There have only
> been
> maybe 15 find logs on it since it was placed well over a year ago.
Not
> everyone will do that cache, nor will everyone have the ability to do
> this
> cache (due to physical limitations)... however, for those people that
> can't
> do my cache or for those that simply don't like to climb mountains,
> there
> are people like galdrich and others doing there part by hiding caches
> that
> are more easily accessible. Therefore, I beleive I am still doing my
> part. I
> have a second cache that will be placed soon... yes, it will be on
the
> top
> of a mountain and will require a nice hike to just get to the base.
> There
> certainly is not a shortage of caches in AZ and I dont think there is
> anyone
> who will every say they found every cache in Arizona (except someone
> who
> found the very first cache first!). I have over 1170 finds and there
> are
> still 1200 more to find yet! Quite frankly, I will never find them
all
> nor
> do I care to find them all.
>
> Your thinking that the top teams wouldnt have so many finds if it
> wasnt for
> those that hide large numbers of caches is totally not accurate...
the