[Az-Geocaching] AZ BLM Geocaching Page

Team Tierra Buena listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:03:58 -0700

> I thought the page seemed quite cache-friendly.  Reading it, they
actually
> have no policy (yet) towards geocaching.
In fact, at the Federal level, BLM does have a Geocaching policy:
	"The BLM believes that geocaching is an appropriate casual use
of public land.  But, as use increases or becomes a management issue in
a particular area, the following minimum steps should be taken:  1) try
to locate a person or group that is responsible for the cache and have
them register the cache with the BLM.  Make sure the cache is safe and
environmentally sound, 2) prepare an environmental assessment or other
appropriate National Environmental Protection Act document, 3) issue a
letter of authorization or SRP with special stipulations to mitigate
concerns, 4) if sites are not registered within a reasonable amount of
time after notification, then the cache should be removed from public
land, normally, the cache would be determined to be abandoned property
after 72 hours unless the appropriate authorization has been obtained,
5) monitor the use to assess public health and safety and environmental
protection issues, 6) if the activity/sport becomes too large and begins
to conflict with other authorized use, appropriate steps should be taken
to properly manage the activity."
And I didn't read anything in the AZ BLM cache page that was
inconsistent with that.
For the full document:
http://www.blm.gov/nhp/efoia/wo/fy03/im2003-182.htm.
Steve