[Az-Geocaching] How accurate is the GPS?

Jim Krider listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 04 Jun 2004 11:18:40 -0700

I am new to geocaching and have had my Magellan Meridian Color less than
a month.  When looking for caches at Freestone Park I tried making a
waypoint near the water fall on my way to "electric playground" cache.
On the way back I stood on the same spot near the waterfall and the GPS
said the spot was 25 feet away.

Another test at ASU I stood on a manhole cover and made a waypoint.
Without moving I then set a go to for that way point which said it was
8ft away.  Not bad.  But then without moving the numbers increased
further and further until it reached 57 feet.

When hunting for geocaches I was assuming I was within 3 m (about 10
feet).  I can see now it could be up to 60 ft away from the spot.

KNOWBODY