[Az-Geocaching] Problems with Mapsource datafile: downloaded topo maps don't appear

Brian Casteel listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 1:14:26 -0500

Ken,

I also have the Vista and know exactly what you're referring to.  I don't believe that you can keep your 'basemap' topo of your area while downloading additional mapsets for travel.  Whenever I head to an area I don't have on my existing basemap config, I add those tiles to the mapset and download it.  With the amount of memory in the Vista, you can download approx. 85-90% of Arizona and leave that in for state travels.  The only areas I didn't show enough memory for was the SW corner of the state (El Camino del Diablo area), and extreme SE Arizona where caches are scarce to begin with.

If you're traveling to another state, you'll need to download that state info when you leave for the trip.  Depending on where you're going, you could possibly select tiles along the major highways you're traveling to keep some mapping capability while driving, and use those tiles to link to the major area in which you'll be traveling to.   When you look on the 'i' screen, it's going to show every map tile as a different name to differentiate what is what if you want to select which to/not to display.  About the only work-around is if you had a laptop that you could download new mapsets on the fly when you needed to.

Since this is time consuming, as it takes quite awhile at 115200bps to download anything more than waypoints (which only download at 9600bps for some reason), there are USB adapters available and the latest MapSource updates support the USB feature (presumably in anticipation of the new 60C/60CS GPS units that were recently put on the market), or maybe even to support the USB download ability.

About the only way to have the ability to do what you are wanting to do is to have a Magellan unit and multiple memory cards for different regions.

Brian
Team A.I.